Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Can you...Let it Go.. Let it Go...Can You?

Let it go....Let it go...Can't hold back anymooooreeee

Elsa singing "Let it Go! from the movie Frozen

Yes this song is already playing in my head as I am headed to pick up Miss Sassafras. (for those of you that need an ear worm today) It is her favorite song to sing these days, although her version sounds more like "dee doh, dee doh" sung with her sassy personality.

I have other reasons for singing this song. Lately I have been letting go of things that hold me back from forward motion. I haven't played my beautiful guitar for over 6 years. I don't have the time but more importantly I don't really have the passion. But I love my guitar. It is beautiful. It is a reminder of endless hours of strumming, singing and the peace that came in those moments. So I have hung on to this guitar with a white knuckled grip just in case....

For me this guitar had become a bit of and idol; something I looked to with pride that comes from possessing something so nice. I also saw my guitar with those "I might really need this someday" eyes. I mean really, what if I give this guitar up and suddenly really "need" to play it? What if I hit a very depressing place or a day fraught with anxiety and I turn to play my guitar and it is gone?

But I let it go....let it go...

I am looking for a few other things to let go of as well. Why?

Because when you let go of something your hands are open to receive. Granted, I want to use the money I will gain from selling my guitar to pay part of my way to a mission trip in Guatemala but more than that.

What if by letting go of this safety net my hands are free to grasp the safety net God offers? What if by letting go of the guitar in my sight my vision is uncluttered to see other possibilities brought into my life? Maybe God is trying to show me something bigger, better. 

What else am I holding onto that blocks my vision, fills my hands, clutters my heart?

What shrines and crutches have we allowed to obstruct our vision? Maybe its not possessions, maybe it is is a habit. Maybe it is something we have convinced ourselves is a necessary part of our lives but is really nothing more that a giant rationalization holding us back?

I realize I am putting a lot of angst on one small beautiful guitar but I had put a lot into the concept of that guitar. Most often it is the small things that trip us up. Small things don't really matter, or do they? There are things that seem so insignificant but even a small grain of sand left in our eye long enough can blind us.



Do it! Today! Let it go! Let go of whatever you are convincing yourself you need to hold on to. You never know how heavy a burden is until you are no longer carrying it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...