Friday, July 11, 2014

Shake the Ball ~ Get Your Answer

Every morning I wake up with one, singular thought on my mind. "What is God's will for me today." Well, often I have that thought secondly after, "Yes, Cooper, I will let you outside." 

Chiweanie Alert
But trust me it is very close to the top. I haven't always had that thought first. It has taken habit and discipline to cultivate that type of thinking. It has also taken me learning a few important concepts:

1. God's will is always perfect but not always popular.

2. Knowledge of God's will is wrapped in free will.

3. If it is His Will there will be a way.

My reading this morning was halted by this passage in a section titled, "Of the Zealous Amendment of Our Whole Life," in "The Christian's Pattern" by John Wesley.  The passage tells of a person that has laid, prostrate on the floor, in humility. He was at a point where he was wavering between HOPE and FEAR. He says to God that if he knew what God wanted for him he would do it!  God's answer?

"If  thou didst know it, what wouldst thou do? Do what thou wouldst do then, and thou shalt be safe."

Allow me a more contemporary translation, albeit less eloquent: If you knew God's will, what would you do? Do that then. Then you will find peace.

Yep. There it is. BOOM. If you knew, then what would you do and if you know then just do it. There is your peace. 

God's will is perfect. so on that will you find peace. The truth is we most usually know God's will.  In my life and in the life of those I have shepherded I have found that most of us know what God would have us do in most any situation. But almost equally as often, our indecision comes from the desire to please God with what we are doing, not in doing what he wants us to do. 

Let's say that again: 

Our indecision (about God's direction) comes from the desire to please God with what we are doing.
NOT in doing what he wants us to do.

Be honest, how many times have we just kept going to God in hopes he would lead us where we are headed but in truth, deep down inside, we know what we should do. God's desire for man is not really that difficult to discern. Love Him most, love what He loves and avoid evil; that which harms others and God.

There is those times when we don't know. We truly need an answer. Often in those cases we are asking for definitive answers about an end result God is not ready to reveal. Following God's will is a journey, not a like the board Game of Life where we spin the dial and get two kids, or become a doctor. Following God's will is a movement of transformation with much needed lessons along the way that shape and mold us. If you aren't getting an answer when you ask, "God, what should I be when I grow up?" He may be saying let's walk together and talk along the way, We will get there eventually."

Our free will surrounds God's will for us. Yep, that's right. God will, can, does show us what is right with in His desire for us but we have to listen, follow, persevere; just do it.


That is the part I don't want to hear. Sooooo many times I could just do God's will if I just did it. But more often than not God's will is not with in my desire. I really just want God to either go along with what I want or make me do it so I don't have to. That is also what I want in life; a chef and personal trainer. I want some one to only give me the food that is good for me and knock things out of my hand that are bad for me. I want a trainer to drag me out of bed and force me to exercise. I know if I did I would be super model ready. But when I roll out of bed at 4:30 all I really want to do is drink coffee and pray and read. Also, being married to a man that loves to cook and really, really excels at it, I would feel bad if anyone knocked his creations out of my hand. Really.

I cannot ignore that in some cases God's will is obstructed by extenuating circumstances like mental health issues or maybe other people suppressing our forward movement. But is is important to know is this:

If it is His will there is a way. 

God will prevail. Humbly approaching God with the faith that He can and will deliver you, then he will. But it will be a journey that requires you leaning upon Him and having the courage to act as He directs. His direction may lead you to a therapist, a medication, a doctor or a support group but He will direct and you should act.

The question is "why?' Why do we ask God for His will for us? DO we really want to know Or are we just shaking some divine Magic 8 Ball hoping for and answer we like or confirms our human nature? 


If that is the case, click here.













No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...