Monday, July 7, 2014

Undivided Heart

I am not good at being patriotic. I have been emotionally scarred from some horrible examples of patriotic fashion, many of which my Grandmother made me wear. What seemed like a great idea when I got dressed quickly turned into a bad idea in the family pictures.


Of late the beautiful symbols of freedom and unity have become to mean for me, division. When I was little I used to recite The Pledge of Allegiance; one nation under God, indivisible...and all that. I grew up loving that I lived where everyone loved God and loved their country and we were the best! Please keep in mind, my formative years (birth through 14) was the height of the Viet Nam War and no one agreed about that conflict so I am not sure why I got that feeling. It just didn't seem as divided then. Today it seems as if American disagree on all points. There are "camps" all over the place. 

I guess I like knowing we are united in one accord. I truly believe that likemindedness can move us together, powerfully forward. Division seems to scatter us in different directions. (Insert background music United We Stand by the Brotherhood of Man )  I know, I know, YOU really know what is right for our country (or your guy does) and if everyone would listen to YOUR POINT OF VIEW everything would be all good. I get that. Ok. Really...But dragging, bullying or guilting others to follow you against others is polarizing.

Jesus had this movement tactic nailed. He took a group of people rooted in life the way it had been presented to them by leaders that had lost their way. But Jesus didn't come with signature colors, or a popular platform. He didn't come with a slick media package or a pushy shifty campaign manager. He did have one heck of a speech writer though.

Jesus started by giving himself to God in a real way and God was pleased. Long before the masses jumped on his bandwagon he cared for them. He healed people; restored them to family, community, and faith. He fed, he loved. In the midst of caring for people he taught; he taught why we love others - because we first love God. 

I recently read a prayer from my Daily Guide to Prayer that said this, "...give me an undivided heart to revere your name..." There it is! Undivided; an undivided heart. What a prayer. that our heart can be single-minded. 

I will go out on a limb and say that if we could get behind a common thought we could probably become a movement that makes real, lasting change. Some may say that Jesus didn't do too good. Today even his followers can't get along. There are churches threatening to split over differences. Significant time is spent discussing, legislating and litigating actions taken as a statement of belief. Jesus didn't have it wrong - his followers do. Jesus stuck to one plan - undivided heart! Love God - love His created people.

Love doesn't mean we have to always agree and love doesn't mean we have to give in to another's beliefs but it does mean that love for God and mankind comes long before our commitment to our worldly beliefs. 

Can we love with an undivided heart? Can we love even those we disagree with? Could this love propel us forward instead of holding us back. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...