Tuesday, July 8, 2014

More lessons from Miss Sassafras

I spent the day with Miss Sassafras again today. But today we were minus the parental items. It makes it for more fun for us. No offense - those parent people are doing their jobs; and are quite amazing at it - but then again I am just doing mine. Sometimes the roles conflict. 

We spent the first part of the day at the local swimming pool at the Cumberland Mountain State Park. It was a beautiful day, so why not. I really wanted to teach her a few things. One day I will learn, I know. The second half of the day involved napping and hanging at the house. I was more prepared this time. I didn't prepare! I just let the day unfold. I still learned a few lessons.

Lesson 1. No matter how fun I think something is - other people have their own mind and own timeline for appreciating new things.

I have always been a water bug. I often dream of sprouting gills and living beneath the surface of the water. I can never understand people that are afraid of water, don't like water, can't swim and have no desire to learn. What I really can't wrap my head around is a person that is INDIFFERENT!!! Sassy's mom warned me that her first excursion into a big pool left her non-plussed. With this knowledge in hand, I set out to let her move at her pace with out force. This is not my usual teaching style. As she was allowed to explore she discovered what she liked and as she began to trust the water I introduced her to fun games. She is no longer indifferent! Why can't we give people space to move at their pace and in their way. I look at where teaching has moved to over the last few years. Maybe our kiddos know more stuff but do they learn to learn? Do they learn to love to learn?

Lesson 2. No one looks at you in your chubby girl swim suit if you are with a really cute toddler.

I always worry about how I look at the pool. I avoid walking around. My theory has always been if I am laying down no one can see me. Today I had to move and walk. But I noticed as I waked by no one even gave me a glance. They were too busy looking at Sassy. Why do I worry? No one else did. Not bring constantly concerned with my appearance was quite freeing. I think of a friend who recently shared if her bear depression over her weight. I should have told her what I was thinking; that she is one if the most beautiful people I know and I hadn't really noticed her size. She always looks so beautiful I think I will. 

Lesson 3. Vegetables always taste better if you pick them and eat them right off the vine. 
People have been saying this for years but trust me this face proves it! I need to find ways to enjoy the freshness God brings into our lives and avoid prepackaged life. We may choose the easy, expedient method of operation but it seems that in order to have a life filled with flavor involves effort and patience. Then grabbing and enjoying when the time is right.

Sassafras eating a "tommy toe" right off the vine. She thinks she snuck it! Shhh don't tell her. 


Lesson 4. Old stuff is good stuff.
Sassy loves singing "Let it Go" from Frozen but today she was not impressed when I butchered it. And I did. Too many words. Didn't like the movie. But I can really get into some Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. And we did. We will sing it tomorrow too! Even though I may get into trouble. Hee hee

Twinkle Twinkle has been around for ages and has the same tune as two other childhood staples, ABC Song and Ba Ba Black Sheep. Learning one makes the other two easy. We will get to those later. But Twinkle Twinkle lets us move our hands and bodies in fun ways and learning to alphabetize isn't that the most important thing. A famous Broadway Star may never perform this song, it may not win a Tony or a Grammy but really, anything that keeps you up and singing in bed is a good thing, right? (Note: As much as I enjoyed the song, I am certain I will not be sitting up singing anything past my bed time tonight! Have I mentioned Sassy moves a lot?)

Lesson 5. Teaching should be spontaneous and simple.
When Papa got home they watered plants. They learned that half the fun is getting your hands dirty and then washing them off. And that smelling fruit is fun. So often we adults try too hard to stick to a set plan for learning and teaching and don't leave room for fun to happen. We try to make the lessons so complicated that we miss on important concepts like lemons smell fresh and apples smell sweet. And really, aren't those important lessons, too? I wish we could make time for more experiential learning for all people, old and young. It is really what sticks. 



Miss Sass is returning today. I can't wait to see what the day holds. But one thing is for sure, You can teach an old dog new tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...