Saturday, July 5, 2014

Dare ya

Thanks to all the 4th festivities, I am still researching for my sermon for tomorrow. I never do that. (well ...almost never) but it is where I a at today. I have a nice quiet morning to find the last few thing I was hoping God would put in my path; a video clip, a quote form a righteous person a nice story. All those things make for an easier time for the listener.

Mel Gibson in The Patriot


So since I got up I have done my devotional time, eaten some of the best banana bread EVER!, rinsed and prepared some fresh herbs and peppers from the garden for some awesome deviled eggs for later, drank some coffee, drank some more coffee, checked facebook...you get the picture. This morning I lack focus.

I then realized I had glassed over my devotional time to rush to the rest of the day. My daily regimen of books, prescribed prayer time and quiet time had for some reason taken on a rote quality. So what do you do at a time like this?? You start over and do it again but this time you really DO it. And look what I found...
"If we would endeavor, like men of courage, to stand in the battle, we should surely feel the assistance of God from Heaven: For he furnishes us with occasions of striving that we may conquer. If we place our progress only in religion, only in outward observances, our devotion will quickly be at an end." ~ John Wesley

Yep, there it is. Smack right in the face. Right in my favorite book. This book is a favorite because it was given to me by a friend. He had found it at a used book store. I read from it daily along with various other books. This morning the the mindless approach came from doing exactly that. This morning I had reduced my devotional time to a check list; not a deep dive into God time. Not only did I find the quote I was hoping for, I also got a gentle nudge from God in the bargain.

For pastor, worship leaders, anyone involved on the Sunday morning routine lets do this... let's make sure tomorrow is exactly what it is supposed to be - an amazing time with God - not a routine we rush through to be the (insert other church name here) to the Golden Coral.  What would happen if we brought our best; our best that God brought us? What would resonate within the Kingdom if every congregation in the land exploded into spontaneous, exuberant worship incited by YOU! Dare you to find out!







No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...