Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Of DNA, Coffee and More Bricks

I have spent a day and a morning being taught the same lesson again and again. It is like a less than funny version of the movie, Ground hog Day.




After yesterday's blog I felt as though the bricks I had written about had not only blocked me in but than some where even being thrown at me. It was as if God wanted me to REALLY learn the lesson. So if I have to learn - I have to share. Prepare to be shared with.


It all started yesterday with my trip to the doctor who informed me I had gone through "the change" (for men who read this blog, ask a woman what this means if you are unsure) Not only had I changed I had somehow "missed" it. Not sure how that happened. But oh well. I guess sometimes change happens in our lives and we are so busy doing life that we suddenly look up and change has happened. 

Maybe we should look up more!


I met a friend yesterday with sadness in her eyes that haunted me all day. I had to return to her. Her sadness stemmed from a change happening in her life. It is not a bad change and will more than likely be a beneficial change so why the sadness? As we talked and shared it became evident that as excited as she was for what is coming in her life the door opening meant that a door would close. And when a door closes a piece of our heart stays there behind that door. But pruning, in plants or hearts create stronger growth.


It all started with my morning coffee and the sign I read. 



My mind was set on change and its effects. But for me, more importantly, it is coming to understanding why we want to brick off the world to avoid even thinking about change. This is why:

Toddler on left the "tree" - toddler on right is the apple

DNA is the culprit. We are products, genetically of those who gave birth to us. Along with is the component of nurture. We become those who have raised us. Even those of us who attempt to rebel against our birth clan, we still have that influence steeped in us as if we were cucumbers marinated in a dark, damp cellar to become pruned, sour pickles; great on a burger, but not much use to the world.


We like building; on our terms. As if I hadn't heard the message enough already, this morning I set about my morning devotion. I have been reading Whispers of Hope by Beth Moore with some prayer partners.  Today's scripture passage was from Genesis 11. It addresses building...with bricks...REALLY!?!?!? Humanity set upon building a tower; a tower they wanted to build in the way they wanted to build it. Tall, big and powerful. They wanted this building to give them what they lacked so they could be God. Why in the world would they want to be God? Why in the world do they think they could be God? They were trying to be God without God being involved. In other words they were trying to create without the Creator. Don't sit there and shake your head, laughing at those silly people of Babel. We do it all the time. We can barely, successfully communicate with each other without confusion, yet we try to think we can do life without God. We are people of Babel.

But on the subject of DNA - let us remember that more than being a part of those who gave us birth and those who may have been the pickling spice in the marinade that permeates our skin, we are encoded with the DNA of a Creator; THE Creator! We are designed to create....along with HIM!

We have the genetic make up of one who by definition, title and work, CREATES! If we are capable or in changing what is around us on our own then maybe we need to look at a change in ourself. WE cannot make a difference by being and doing the same as we have always done.  But by working with the Father, as His apprentice, we can be taught, shaped and formed. Today's sign at the coffee shop...still being taught.

...working on a change in me - tea-not coffee 


So maybe we should go to work with our DAD!


No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...