Monday, September 1, 2014

I Am Being Disciplined!

"The reports of my death has been greatly exaggerated!" ~ Mark Twain



Truthfully I haven't heard anyone wondering if I have died but I have had many ask me if I quit blogging. Nope - didn't quit. I did, however, lose the discipline I had developed to blog each day; to hone my writing skills. What went wrong? Nothing wrong per se. Actually you could say somethings went right, school started and got two boys back in the classroom and out from underfoot, mainly. What threw me off the discipline train was a few bumps in the road; morning schedule change, some ministry matter and the return of meetings. All of these situations combine to make a big ball of excuses; not reasons. I really just needed to readjust each day to make time.


Why is blogging so important that I need to put it my daily priorities? I feel as though God is urging me to write; some thoughts, maybe a book. But I know that the big things begin with small disciplines.

Job would have never endured the hardships, his bumps in the road, had he not first developed a habit of glorifying God with his daily practices of piety? Moses spent daily time with God as he led God's chosen through the wilderness. God wants me to do what He wants me to do. I can't just skip that time because the time passes or the schedule changes. But I did; I do. 

Am I called then to throw in the towel, give up, chalk it up as another failure and wait until God tries to call me into something else? Oddly enough, that would be what I would usually do and more than likely I would. 

Why not this time? God won't let me off the hook on this one. so here I am back at it. If you read something that speaks to you, share it, comment below. Help me to continue to hone this skill, this calling God has laid upon me. 

God calls us all to spiritual disciplines; those things we do with disciplined regularity growing in God's grace as we give our life to God with intention. As we grow in discipline into those places God calls we we grow deeper roots which strengthen our tree of faith in God and His provision. 

What is God calling you to do as practice? Are you answering the call?
Are you disciplined in your practice?

Spiritual disciplines can range from study, fasting, prayer, visitation, reading scripture, chastity... you get the picture, those areas in our life God wants that we keep to ourselves. For me it is articulating God's truth shaping my life becoming my truth. 

What will it be for you?








No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...