Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Mastering Moses...part one

In a never ending quest to be a better writer, I blog. In that same quest I also read...a lot! I read from several books daily as well as read blogs and articles and pay close attention to how others write and craft thoughts into great (and sometimes, not so great) messages.


Recently I read an article from a web site I subscribe to called, ChurchLeaders. A recent article captured my attention. The article was titled, 5 Things Long-Term Leaders Master (and Quitters Never Do) . As someone that has spent the better part of my adulthood in some form  of leadership; sometimes long-term, sometimes not so much, this article spoke to me. I NEVER want to be known as a quitter, for sure. I want to finish what ever I start. When do you know your season is over and when you are walking away; quitting; giving up? Even thought this article was written for church leaders, the five reasons are pertinent to leaders in all walks of life.

In ministry, especially the United Methodsit Church, the thought of long term ministry is almost a foreign term. In a denomination where the average tenure at a local church is 8 years, it is almost impossible to plan to be in ministry long term with a particular church family. It could be easy for me to ignore the chance to grow in the area of being a leader that would prosper in a long term relationship. And if I only stay short-term everywhere I go then these long term lessons will prove to be beneficial in my life's relationships.


The first thing long term leaders master is, "Being Unpopular." Wow! Have I ever been that person. I don't care what anyone says, no one wants people to not like them. In ministry, you tend to popular for what is called the honeymoon. Let me say this beginning period of leadership is awesome! Everything you do - everything you say is right and beautiful. It is almost as if you are Ghandi and Billy Graham rolled into one. For a while you are a brilliant teacher, masterful speaker and you are sharp and quick. It is easy to expect your picture on Time Magazine as Man or Woman of the Year.

Somewhere in the in the midst of your first, second or third year the shine wears off and you are almost dull. Decisions have been made that make some people happy and other decisions are made that make others happy. The article states that as an effective leader you often make decisions that that are what people need instead of what people want. I find that I and faced with guiding people down the path that God is leading me. I feel that as God and I are wrestling with my understanding and fulfilling what He want from me, those I lead feel as though I am trying to please this group or that person. The funny thing that no one is considering is that in pleasing one contingent you have alienated another. There is nothing to be gained by leading to make others happy.

Moses must have had to wrestle too. I can hear the conversation now, "But God, really, they do't want to eat this flaky stuff." They are going to whine. "Don't you remember? Wouldn't it be easier to just sneak back into Egypt and pack a few picnic baskets and load up goat or two and start over?"

The answer lies in how it went down with Aaron when Moses went up to talk to God on the Mountain. The people got antsy and wanted to make a golden calf. In that moment Aaron had a choice as a leader to make; talk the people down from the ledge, guide them in God's way or help them make the golden idol. They made the idol. Aaron helped. Initially people were happy. They were probably ready to nominate him for "Pastor of the Year."

Being popular with those you lead is soooooooo much easier than doing what God calls you to do. God doesn't take us down the easy path. He often takes us through the wilderness so we can let go of the golden calfs in our lives.  A leader that guides others through that wilderness is not popular. Look at how Moses was treated.  I am not sure how I feel about being unpopular. I like it when people like me. My heart is burdened when others don't like me or when I have fallen short of their expectations. I lose sleep, fret and get my feelers hurt. I am human. I have cried, lost sleep, gotten angry. A recent pew survey found that "57% of those would leave ministry if there were another vocation they could do."Citation 

The the ways I find that I cope with this partial and temporary unpopularity is to lean heavily on God. Knowing that His way is perfect even when I am not. I also learn to covet those times when I find approval from others. Although their approval may be fleeting it has a lasting effect. I also have a friend that is not in my congregation, never will be. We are nothing alike and a like in so many ways. I don't see her often but when I do, she loves me. She doesn't count on me for leadership and the only decision we make together is a lunch venue. While our conversations are deep and have a lasting impact, I never feel badly when our time together ends. I am always popular with someone as long as I have her.


Tomorrow...."Personal Growth"  eek


No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...