Thursday, September 4, 2014

Eeek I Ate a Fuji

This might be a one of my favorite places in Crossville, TN. It is called Rowell's Apple House. It is located just down the road from us. Rowell's grows and hand picks every apple. They are high quality, pesticide free, crunchy, goodness. When you walk in you can taste apple in the air. I find it funny that I like this place because I really don't like apples. I have tried my whole life but they made my stomach hurt. I kept trying to like them but they were just cold, hard and sour to me. Until this!!!!

THE HONEY CRISP

Someone brought one to apple study and it was love at first bite. It is amazing!! Crispy, juicy, sweet, fragrant. Walking into buy a whole bag of these apples delights my heart. I only want to eat the Honey Crisp. All other apples are not even considered when I walk into the Apple House.I walk right past the other rows. I know the shelf on which they live and I don't visit any other apples. there are some I have never tried. They may be good by why make the gamble? I am not wiling to even try.
But then catastrophe happened. I ate a Fuji. I had purchased some Fuji's for a friend and one had accidentally ended up in my honey crisp bag. I know how it infiltrated its way into my bag. I was juggling many bags into the house and the Fuji deftly rolled out of the bag, on to the ground, where Joe scooped it up and PUT IT INTO THE WRONG BAG!!!! This morning a innocently grabbed an apple, never worrying about there being a interloper lurking in our beautiful apple basket. As I began to read, pray and study I took the first bite. Something was wrong, way wrong! 

I am being dramatic, I know. But I seriously only like Honey Crisp. But I often find myself in this predicament in other aspects in my life. I like what I like. I am fairly open minded. I am willing to try new tastes, experiences or adventures, but I am quick to put everything into a "keep" or "toss" basket. Stuff in my "toss" basket: tennis, seafood, bike riding, polka, patten leather shoes and horror movies. There is really no plans of trying them again. They have no chance of making my "keep" basket. 

I ponder...does God have a "keep" and "toss" basket? Does He look at His creation and think, "Nope, i tried working with the Monica girl but, naw, she just isn't what I a looking for." Toss! Would He gaze at a church meeting, bible study or gathering of His followers and say to Himself, "I keep hoping these experience get more satisfying but it's not happening. See ya!" I doubt it. 

Fortunately, our God is a God of grace; a God of mercy. Unfortunately, I believe He has a deep understanding of where and how we fall short. He loves us, accepts us and stays with us anyway. Whew! Good thing because often our actions, who we have become is a poor representation of what God created.  God doesn't appear to have a toss or keep basket. It appears as though He holds out hope that we will transform into the original intent. 

I wonder what He thinks about what we manifest into this world with our choices of how we accept others? Does He shake is head in discouragement as we place people in the toss or keep basket. Maybe we should just be willing to occasionally accept a Fuji, or Red Delicious, or even Granny Smith into your life? 

"Therefor accept each other just as Christ as accepted you so that God will be given glory." Romans 15:7





No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...