Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Prevail!

In 6th grade i was in my required music class, being bored as we sang Senor Don Gato out of the Silver Burnett music textbooks. When the principal came in and asked who would like to go join a new class that was being started; Speech and Drama. I had no clue what you did in that class but anything o escape music, I was on board! My first role? Wanda the Witch in a halloween play. This class led to being in a speech, debate and/or drama class through highs school and scholarshipped my first year of college. Through high school I began to become a movie and theater buff on my quest to become the next star on the walk of fame. 


September 16, 1924 - August 12, 2014
I quickly fell in love with Lauren Bacall. She was someone I could identify with. Her voice wasn't high and soft like other actresses of her time or mine, even. Her eyes pierced through you. Being someone with intense eyes I felt like she gave me hope. Lauren Bacall was no small, tiny diminutive woman; she was no Gidget. She had strong bones, broad shoulders and accentuated them with big shoulder pads. More importantly, Lauren Bacall was not was no shrinking, soft ingenue. She had a brain, and a  spirit that seemed to be a match for even an actor like Humphrey Bogart. Her presence did not shrink next to him. She even outlived him by 50 years.

Lauren Bacall is quoted with saying, “Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.” this coming from a woman that was doing voice overs and cameos at the age of 88 less than a year before she died of a massive stroke.
Lauren Bacall's character, Evelyn


I no longer act. I left that dream over 35 years ago. It was fun but as I grew it wasn't me. I But I am not through with wanting to be a little like a great women like Lauren Bacall. She has some traits that are worth considering.

in 1977 she was interviewed by Parade magazine. She ended her interview with this statement, "Everyone is a survivor. Everyone wants to stay alive. What's the alternative? See, I prefer to prevail." To prevail is to be victorious. 

To be victorious is to win all the time; to have someone else be a loser. To be victorious is more than winning. Being better than the next guy is great. But as my karate sansei told me a really long time ago, "Beating someone is great, but remember, there is always someone faster, smarter, better just waiting to beat you."

Being victorious means you overcome the weaknesses in side you. You identify each place you are less than God created you to be and then you allow God to shave the rough places off with surgeon like precision. 


It is by God's glorious grace and mercy that we are to prevail; to be victorious. It is not in God's design to settle, to give up. Ever! It is our calling to prevail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...