Monday, August 11, 2014

Of Heroes and Superpowers

A few days ago I posted this




on my Facebook status. I post scriptures when they catch attention; speak to me. This scripture spoke to me. It was a great reminder I need; we all need. More importantly it addressed a few issues I had been pondering of late.

Recently, Build-A-Bear Workshop ended their relationship with Autism Speaks. I personally do not support Autism Speaks and I understand the desire of Build-A-Bear, the backlash and ugliness between opposing sides hurts my heart.


While I may not agree with how Autism Speaks "supports" individuals and families working through the adjustments autism brings into their lives, I am certain that ugliness is not the answer. The reaction from my neuro-typical family and friends leans toward classifying both sides as crazy, ranting fools rather than people passionate about helping their loved ones and finding the best way to go about doing so.




As a pastor, I see this "in fighting" so often in the Christian community. Denomination against denomination, Roman Catholic facing off against Protestant, and worse yet, people within their own Denomination coming to a place of taking sides on ONE issue. Or worse yet, just griping about what is going in your church, your denomination, your faith to those that are not part of that dialogue. 

Please understand that I don't believe we all should "give-in" to someone to make peace but at some point we have to acknowledge the damage being done to the larger community as a whole as we air our inability to find consensus and work together. People outside of the conversation on Autism; those not impacted daily by the challenges and differences are have not yet come to a depth of understanding to be able to perceive the dialogue as passion, frustration and urgency and often chalk it up to an uneasy feeling towards the subject at hand.  

My son is autistic, has autism. Depending on who you speak to I should say he has autism, not that he is autistic. Why you ask?  Those on the "has" side want to separate the child from the condition. It is called person first language. Fair enough but those on the "is" side want others to see that autism is a part of who this child is and we should accept them for who they are created to be. I end up saying whatever comes out of my mouth. My child, the one who is autistic and has autism has been asked which he prefers. His response, "Does it matter, I am still Kota." And there you are and yet we are still fighting amongst ourselves. 

I see the same problem in my faith institutions. We find that in applying our faith to the world in which we live we find that issues are seen differently. How we work through differences and beliefs of how God would see life today if He stepped down from His throne today and became incarnate among us can consume us. But do we allow it to consume us to the point of losing sight of the real reason we are disciples - to disciple. 

Do these fusses and fights draw people to the heart of God where real transformation takes place or does it add bricks to the wall? I believe they build that wall high and strong! Then what really matters, "God is still God!" Gets lost in the ugliness shown to the world.

Every time a hate-filled protest poster is held high in condemnation of other Christians (or worse yet, non- Christians) that is one more brick mortared in. Every time we choose back biting or behind the back whispering we might as well build a fortress around our churches where no one new can venture in. 

Passion is a dangerous drug when it turns into a super-power used to fuel Right Fighting! When we are working to be a Suer Hero championing the rights of "whatever cause" what is really needed is a hero who will step up, listen and choose to create compassionate, loving dialogue to try to understand. I don't know about you, but the last church I would want to join is the 1st Pretty Church of NoOneGetsAlong. 




It is hard to reach out to people when you your back is bowed up in anger towards someone you should be in partnership with in the reaching out. It is equally hard to speak the Gospel to someone when your hand is placed over the side of your mouth as whispered dissension escapes. 



So thank you, Build-A-Bear for quietly coming to your senses and not turning it into a public mutiny. I even more greatly appreciate that you chose to continue your support of autism acceptance through words and actions and less through lining the pockets of a heavy-merchandised machine. But the rest of you autistic loving people, take a cue form B-A-B, be nice. Please. 

And you Christians, my people, same to you! Dad says so!


No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...