Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Hashtag tt

#transformationtuesdaysample from Instagram
In the world of social networking today is know as #transformationtuesday. Check out Instagram or Twitter, even on Facebook. All of those sights will be littered with pictures of how far a person, puppy or whatever has come with a brief testimony of such. Transformation Tuesday is my favorite day to stalk my friends posts. I love seeing their baby pictures, old high school photos and pictures of their pet when they were a baby. 


I like #transformationtuesday because that is what life is all about; transformation. What good would be be to anyone if we stayed today just like we were yesterday. If nothing we learned over the past few weeks, months, years make no impact on who we are becoming would be a waste of breaths on this earth.

So for you, dear readers, here is one of my favorite #transformationtuesday moments. For those of you that weren't around when they blew into our lives, this is Dakota Jack Mowdy and Dylan Tucker Mowdy headed to their first day of preschool. That wasn't their names then. They came with different names from a different world than many of us will ever know or comprehend. This picture was the day after they arrived, bald, scared and carrying everything they owned in a black Hefty trash bag. They were so tiny and timid. There is a transformation for you - even with Kota's small stature I don't think anyone that knows them could call either of them tiny or timid, now. 


In fact you can see they are big, grown and appear to have more confidence. We have been through health issues, trials of behavior; some typical for boys and some not so typical due to their background. We discovered Kota has PDD-NOS (a spectrum disorder) and Dylan has better than typical eyesight. We consider both of these issues as superpowers. But I keep this picture from their first days in our world to remind me how far they have become; to give me a reminder to honor their progress and cherish their metamorphosis. 

I used to dress them like twins. I did this partly because it was fun but mostly because it was easy. One boy would choose and the other boy would want the shirt too, so having two of everything was simple. Now they are so different it takes reminding that they are genetically related. Kota is non-violent and hates guns. He thinks analytically. Dylan loves to shoot and is quite good, he loves animals but lives to hunt them. His heart is golden.

Tomorrow is back to school day. New schools for both; Kota to high school and Dylan to the school across the street. Neither seem worried or scared. I am. I am as scared as I was that first day of preschool. Will they make friends, will they get in trouble, can they handle the school work? I have to know that each step of transformation will be for the good of the end result. 

Isn't that the promise? That through our relationship with God we will be transformed and in that transformation we will be better. I count on this promise for them, for me and for others. I know that they came to us not how God intended their first few years to be but that little by little, step by step they will be moved closer and closer to the original blueprint. It excites me, although I am no hurry to see the finished result. I love more watching their lives in God unfold.

I love #transformationtuesday because watching transformation in everyone is is proof that God is still actively involved in our lives here on earth; He hasn't given up on us yet! Look back at last Tuesday, have you changed at all... even a little? How will you change between now and next week? Year? 10 years? Will you let God transform you for the better?


No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...