Thursday, January 22, 2015

Surprise Embrace

I was once called a "planet."  A planet is a person that looks ahead, makes plans and has every detail accounted for prior to any endeavor. 

The Guatemala trip this year is no different; extra zip lock baggies in case, extra glasses in case...oops we will be going to Ocumbla, socks in case we see Brenda from last year. 

Brenda is a small girl with Juvenile Arthritis and going bare foot or wearing the cheap rubber shoes year up her feet. I looked forward to seeing Brenda. Last year she touched my heart. 

Another girl that touched my heart was Evelyn. I met her in Oquen. She was tiny, round faced and smiling. The day we pulled out of Guatemala, heading for Antigua, I chose Evelyn to sponsor in the Embrace Program. Brenda's nutritional health was not poor enough to qualify which should tell you how starved Evelyn was. 

Being a "planet" I looked at the itinerary and thought ok, "Friday, new village, Saturday, LaPuente (need a jacket)... Wednesday, Ocumbla and Brenda. The planet's planner was set. 

Imagine my dismay when Tuesday I realized I had read and remembered incorrectly! We were going to Ocumbla but to Oquen. Oh, well. (I got to the "oh well" place after a bit of stewing.) And then it hit me early Wednesday morning Oquen meant Evelyn. When serving for Servant ministries, if you have a child you sponsor through Embrace you can arrange to meet that child ahead of time. In my confusion and mis-planning, I missed the ahead of time window. In fact, I bag an to second guess if Evelyn really lived in Oquen or not. 

Serving in triage we watch for names for other sponsors' children. As I carefully scanned for names, Robin's child comes through. I give up on seeing Evelyn, chastising myself for not planning better. <sigh>

Then, a small child walks in. Round face, tiny... It looks like Evelyn. But her name is Vidalia. She was only 2. She was not Evelyn. Then I hear the mother chattering say, "Padrina, Padrina!" (Patron) I have no clue until I retrieve the paperwork of the next child! It was Evelyn  her face no longer moon-shaped. But her eyes still the same. Her smile lit up the room and I grabbed her, hugged her and probably sacred her to death!!!


I felt so much joy meeting her, seeing her village and her family. I was please to see her health was much better. She is still battling worms but will always. She has a latrine and a water filter so life can be better. Her weight is much better. Her smile was huge. You will not see the smile in these pictures. Most all Ch' orti children either become solomn or cover their mouths when you take pictures.

But this girl will thrive. She is spunky. Later, several hours after her clinic appointment she charmed her way past the seasoned Pastor Armando, and a few others claiming she wished to meet her Padrina!! Once she got to me, she batted her eyes, looked at me sweetly and said, "dulce?" Ahh a girl after my own heart she had managed to use her beautiful smile, big brown eyes and hug to snag another handful of candy!

That's my girl!!

Now for sure I left a piece of my heart back in Oquen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...