Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Church Questions I Ponder #1

So today I did have a post I feel compelled to share. I feel it will start a new trend about church questions I just need answers to. Please feel free to post comments or answers. It would help so I don't lose sleep over these conundrums. 


This chandelier is is hanging in the Narthex of the church in Jocaton, Guatemala. Jocaton is a small town near Chiquimula, Guatemala. (Southeast Guatemala)

So the "Church Question I Ponder" today is...
Why is it the goal of every church to have a chandelier?

I have nothing against chandeliers, really. But even when they don't seem to match the style of the church, it seems as though there is some contingent of folks pushing to get or keep the chandelier. 

The current church I serve is case in point. This church was an old military chapel that was dismantled and reconstructed where it presently sits. It is rustic, beautiful and simple...except for the chandelier in the Narthex. No one ever mentions it. It almost seems as though it has been forgotten. 
The light fixtures in the sanctuary are wood and rough and quite beautiful. Not at all like the brass and crystal shiney piece that hangs overhead as people enter. 

This chandelier in the church today was in a concrete room, painted purple. With wooden, backless benches for seating. While it looked beautiful, it didn't seem to fit. It is as though to be a church you must have a chandelier. 

These aren't the only two churches I know. Does your church have a chandelier? Anyone have any answers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...