Monday, January 12, 2015

Mattering in All Things

Often what I write comes from what I read. I am inspired by the blending of my thoughts and ideas with the inspirations of others; theologians, scripture, even the wisdom of a near two year-old, sassy girl. It is almost like a latte. You know those lattes you get in the hipster coffee houses in Nashville? They are dark with a beautiful creamy swirl painting a picture that goes beyond a cup of coffee. I think like espresso; strong, deep and often with a dark tone that could sometimes be like a wake-up slap in the face. BAM Espresso! But with a lovely, creamy, well crafted layer the picture and flavor profile is much more palatable and enjoyable.




This morning, following my usual scripture reading, devotional time and prayer time, I felt led to check in with my friend JD Walt. JD was the Dean of the Chapel at Asbury Theological Seminary when I attended. JD now is the chief sower for Seedbed, a resourcing endeavor for leaders, teachers, pastors and others in the business of discipleship (shouldn't we all be) in the Wesleyan Tradition. JD's blog, Seedbed Daily Text became the influential reading of the day. 

My latest passion I wanted to write about is that we so often ignore important aspects of our life as change agents in God's Kingdom. We too often put mundane minutia before what we are truly called, as followers of Christ, to do. We pick up the cleaning, we watch an "important" ball game...we blog. We do this all before we take care of what matters. Wait?!?!? What does matter? My in-your-face style wants to scream, get off your butts, quit worrying about your comfort and interest and do something for someone else that needs you to be Christ in their life! BAM! Espresso!



Enter JD! Well actually his daughter Lily. JD writes, based on Proverbs 12:10 about his daughter discovering that everything matters. In this particular blog, the everything that mattered for little Lily was God's creation, in this case a turtle. A lowly turtle. But Lily discovered that this small creature matters to God; in her words, "everything matters"! Why yes it does Lily! Everything of God matters to God and therefor should matter to us.  There are so many areas of life that I just pass by, not caring as if it isn't my concern But it is God's concern. So I should care. Because everything matters. There is nothing too small or insignificant for God to care. 

There is wisdom in Proverbs, in wise pastor/preacher/writer friends but more importantly, those with fresh eyes and fewer of life's important distractions in their lives. Those people that can do small things for a big God and realize that small cares are as important as big cares are impactful. Why? Because to God all things great and small are of equal and profound importance and those less encumbered by the world can see that. 

I am headed to get coffee to begin my day - then looking for something to care for. I plan to not wait for something to fall in my lap. Mattering is all about intentionality. I won't have to look hard, because as Lily said, "everything matters."



No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...