Wednesday, June 17, 2015

I Am Baaaaaack


Yes, I am aware my last post was over five months ago. I would love to tell you why but then that would defeat the reason I went "blog silent. Le's just say I was at a place where I couldn't trust myself to not use my blog as a weapon against those who were creating havoc in an otherwise perfect world. 

Don't we need breaks sometimes? A space and time to find perspective; to lick our wounds and to heal from the throes of life? We know this as infants but forget it as toddlers - we need rest - a break - distance from the world. 

Granted it may not need to be five months. Sometimes a day, or a week or even just a nap. Babies know they need sleep and for the most part they do a lot of it. But something inside our human nature pushes us, as early as toddlerhood to reject the notion of lying down. I mean we may miss something, right? We may not be able to exert our desire to control the situation if we are shut down and removed. So we avoid breaks.

Let me tell you from experience, a break was just what I needed. And trust me, you needed a break from me too. Has I stuck around during the rough patch, I would have shared (stealthily disguised as a great lesson) all the junk being poured over me as well as my gut responses. I would have inflicted my pain on you. 

But distance, perspective and healing allows me to learn from the experience and move on to more fruitful topics, like this one, rest. Rest is also known as sabbath in our church world. Jesus took a sabbath time to rest in the Lord. We need that same time. It is a restful place where God can speak and heal and shape us.

I need to be more faithful in this practice. I am called to urge others to take sabbath rests. When is yours?


No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...