Friday, June 27, 2014

The Profit of Silence

John Wesley, founder of the Methodist Movement said in his book, The Christian's Pattern, "I seek a convenient time to retire into thyself. Meddle not with curiosities." 

Sheesh curiosities! That is what gets me. I am akin to Doug the ADD Labrador from the Disney Pixar movie, UP! I can not just sit in silence in enjoyment of the moment with out fidgeting, looking for something to read, engage with  or wonder about. How in the world does God even talk to me - EVER??


Squirrel

Last Sunday, I encouraged the youth group in our church to o kid's minutes during worship. It was different than all the others. They didn't speak, they didn't preach, they just went up and took the children and "did" something for them. Some of them read to the children, some of them sang with the children, some of the drew pictures with the children and one even washed the feet of a small toddler. 
Then never spoke. It lasted a mere two minutes...two minutes of unbearable silence. The adults were looking around, fidgeting, even towards the end of the two minutes began to whisper. When one girls stood up and proclaimed to the congregation and children, "LOVE - Put it into practice and walked off the congregation was stunned. The silence prepared them for them most profound message in a way talking could not have.

Trust me, after spending three days with 18 youth in a park (and in a van) I come home craving silence. I seek to find that time. I don't though because I really don't want it when I get it. I turn the television on for noise, I find something to do.

Maybe I don't really like those people that take up residence in my head and speak to me non-stop. Maybe I have nothing of value to ponder. Maybe I am afraid of what thoughts will come to me as I just sit there. But could silence prepare me for something more profound?

A study of 580 undergraduate students undertaken over six years, reported by Bruce Fell shows that the constant exposure to background media du to ease of access has created people who literally fear silence. Couple this information with research by Dr. Michael Bittman of the University of New England and Dr. Mark Sipthorp of the Australian Institute of Family Studies argues that our need for noise and struggle with silence is a "learned behavior." 

How do we unlearn the need for noise. Do we even need to? Do we need this time in silence. For believers of God it is during silence that God speaks to us through the Holy Trinity. Jesus can teach us, the Holy Spirit can shape us. More importantly God can grant us that peace that passes all understanding. 

The Quaker movement that began after the Reformation, began with a practice of silence in corporate and personal worship. This silence is considered safe and speaking is considered folly. They try to abstain from even entertaining their own thoughts. It is during this time that God can speak into the silence.

Do those of us that do not participate in a practice of silence miss out on hearing from God. I don't know. I am sure I have heard from God. He probably has to work much harder to get through the noise; baseball bats, two-by-fours, knocking me down. I spend a couple of hours in devotional time daily as a spiritual discipline, but in actual silence, with no thoughts in my head...yeah...that will be tough. Really tough!! But I think I am going to try it. I mean really? Who couldn't use some wisdom and peace from God. 




John Wesley again, "In silence and stillness a religious soul profits. O how great peace and quietness he would possess, and think only on Divine things that are profitable for the soul."

Shhhhhhh I am listening to silence.




No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...