Friday, June 20, 2014

Lessons from Miss Sassafras

One of my vacation endeavors was to spend a day with Miss Sassafras. Miss Sassafras is my 15 month old granddaughter. I had dreams of calling her "Grandprincess" but Miss Sassafras rolls right off the tongue. If you have met her you would understand. She is brilliant, beautiful and a product of some crazy genetics; most of which shine through. But mostly she is sassy. Not bad sassy, just bright, independent with an opinion!




Yesterday I learned some lessons from Miss Sass! I feel as though I should share them!

1.   SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO WALK AROUND WITHOUT A PLAN.

Yesterday, we took Sassy to the beach. We followed her. Now we may have had plans of castle building, boat riding, fish observing.  But she had different plans. She wanted to pick up rocks, squish her toes in the sand, eat a bit of sand and splash the water. Her plan was just fine! And by following her, we experienced things that weren't on our agenda. I observed sights and shared experiences I wouldn't have otherwise. I often miss out when I am on a mission with blinders on a to do list in my hand.

2.   ANYTHING HAS VALUE IF WE DEEM IT TO BE.

Miss S loves rocks. Not necessarily pretty rocks. Really more the kind you use as ground cover in your flowerbeds or use for your driveway. She collects them. My daughter lets her. She doesn't discourage her because to a growing mind, these rocks are beautiful, important and hers.  Wouldn't it be great if we chose to value things that we tend to devalue; people, emotions, situations instead of sparklies? We all might need to check our value placement.

http://youtu.be/mC5P234Fs8s

3.   IT'S OK TO SAY "NO" IN SOME INSTANCES.

Sassafras loves to say "no"; possibly when she really even means "yes." For a toddler, the word "no" really means I have an opinion and I an not going to do it just because you want me to! How often do we do something, engage in a behavior, just because we don't want to be "that guy", the one who says, "no." She is learning, however, to say "no Peeeeze" and "tank you". It's all good. I wonder how my life would have been different if I would have said "no" instead of "yes."

4.   IF YOU HAVE NEVER HAD A SMARTIE A BLUEBERRY IS CANDY.

My daughter has wisely kept this child's diet clean, healthy and extra sugar free. She is smart enough to realize she won't be able to keep it this way for ever but she wants to delay the inevitable; encourage healthy habits. Miss Sassy is a great, albeit messy, eater. Blueberries are her crack! I guess it is never to late to adopt a healthy attitude. Maybe not a lesson I want to learn! 

5.   A PLEASANT ATTITUDE WILL TAKE YOU FAR

Miss S wanted to play with another child's toys, knock down another child's castle and and two simple words and a beautiful smile gained her permission; please and thank you.  She only knows a few words but these are two she uses often.  What a gift her mom and dad gave her teaching her that being kind, nice and pleasant helps to smooth your path. How many times do we react with unkind, hateful words. Scripture teaches us when someone is ugly give them the best kindness. It will "heap burning coals upon there heads." (No actual coals were used in the writing of this blog.) But what this means is when you don't allow someone to destroy your character by the absence of theirs, you win! (It also always keeps 'em wondering)

I pass on these five gifts to you, gifts of a simpler, kinder healthier life. I pray we all become a little more sassy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...