Monday, June 16, 2014

So That

Lesson learned! Smaller bowl~smaller portion! Doh!
(See post from 6-12-14)
Change, learning, conversion is a lifelong process (or should be). Even I can learn something new, as stubborn as I am. I pondered the other day, why I kept grabbing a large cereal bowl, filling full and leaving close to half uneaten. So this morning, I thought to myself, "Hmmm cereal sounds good this morning." Grabbed the same bowl, the same cereal and proceeded to repeat the same action. But this time I stopped before the deed was done, grabbed another, much smaller bowl and poured cereal and milk all the while wondering if it would be enough. It was. Exactly enough.

I did not invent the concept of smaller plates to encourage smaller portions. Have I employed this method? I have now. I knew that the ability to eat cereal differently existed but I had to decide I was willing to go out on a limb and let someone else guide my decisions. 

Bishop Rueben Job wrote, "While conversion requires our decision and action, the grace and strength to be changed - to become more than we are - is the gift of God. Conversion is a partnership process." Conversion is great. We can all be better, more Christ like. I mean really, can anyone argue this point? Unfortunately, in my opinion, what I often see is change for the sake of change. Change in itself is not conversion. 

Why did I need to convert to a more productive cereal eating habit? I need to live out the way I prepared my crunchy, sweet bowl of breakfast goodness so that I would not run out of cereal so quickly, so that I would not waste cereal which cost money, so that I would set a good example for my children....you get the picture. Change is a move in a different direction, sometimes seasonal or temporary. Conversion is a complete transformation into a new way so that we live our life more fully, more completely in the way of God. 

So that...Have you ever asked yourself this question in the face of how and why you decide your life's choices? "I need to go swimming today so that I will spend time with my children in a fun, clean activity that is fun for all of us." "I need to buy new shoes so that...so that...ugh"

Those of us that follow Christ are more in need of the "so that." We need to employ the so that explanation process for ourselves to be sure that we are actually changing, actually allowing God to work through the conversion process, not just moving, or as my Uncle Terry used to say, "running ignorant." 
Running Ignorant
We can't become more than we are - a gift from God if we aren't really moving closer to Him.

Ask God to guide you through the "so thats" in your life. "Lord, I feel the need to invite friends to church so that; more people-more money, we can build that new building, I want more people like me at church? No ~ Obviously none of those really sound like good answers when uttered aloud. When the so that is spoken, god can guide you past your human rationalizations. 
Lord, please lead me to people to invite to church so that together we can take this journey towards you together, so that we can learn from eat other, so that we can travel with Christ, through Christ and all the while bring Christ to the world.

So that...

I dare you to ask your self this today ~ be prepared for true conversion to begin!






No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIVE US AGAIN!

Photo from: JuicyEcumenism.com As a former student of Asbury Theological Seminary, I have been asked to weigh-in on the event taking place a...